OSWEGO, N.Y. – Junior Ariella Haas scored a goal and added two assists as the Oswego State women’s ice hockey team used a dominant 5-0 performance over Potsdam on Saturday afternoon at the Deborah F. Stanley Arena to avenge an early season 4-4 tie.
- Final Score: Oswego 5, Potsdam 0
- Location: Deborah F. Stanley Arena, Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Oswego 4-2-1 (2-2-1 NEWHL), Potsdam 1-4-1 (0-3-1 NEWHL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Oswego got on the board first nine minutes into the contest when they went on the power play and Philomena Teggart stopped the Bears from clearing their defensive zone.
- She swung a pass across the blue line to Avery Webster who skated in to the right faceoff circle and drilled a shot on goal.
- Potsdam’s goalie made the save but the rebound caromed out to the middle where Morgan Shines pounced on it and hammered it into the back of the net.
- The Lakers dominated the opening period, outshooting the Bears by a 20-4 margin.
- Early in second period, junior Megan Teachout drove to the net and fired a shot on goal and newcomer Haas collected the rebound and fired it home for a 2-0 lead.
- From the home boards on a four-on-four, Teachout evaded two defenders on her way into the middle of the ice and snapped a shot over the goalie’s right shoulder for the 3-0 lead later in the period.
- Teggart earned her second assist on the play.
- Oswego’s defense produced a few key stops in the second period including staving off a 5-3 power play situation and Laker goalie Joanna Hiebert making a crucial Potsdam two-on-one save late.
- A second power-play goal was added to the scoreboard with just under two minutes left in the second period when Mack Hull won a scramble in front of the net and scored.
- Haas and senior Chyne Kennedy were credited with assists on Hull’s goal.
- Simone Bednarik made it 5-0 with Oswego’s third power play goal of the contest on assists from Kennedy and Haas with just under nine minutes to play in the contest.
- The final spread on shot-on-goal was 53-7 in favor of the Lakers.
- Hiebert ended with seven saves as the Oswego defense kept things against the boards for the Bears all afternoon.
William Smith will visit the Deborah F. Stanley Arena on Tuesday for a 7 p.m. contest. The game will feature First Responders Appreciation Night.
@OswegoAthletics | FB: OswegoAthleticsOfficial | IG: oswegoathletics