BROCKPORT, N.Y. – The Oswego State Men’s Ice Hockey team defeated the previously undefeated Brockport Golden Eagles by a score of 2-1 this evening. Coming down to the final seconds, the Lakers stood their ground and solidified their third SUNYAC win.
- Final Score: Oswego 2, Brockport 1
- Location: Tuttle North Ice Arena, SUNY Brockport, Brockport, N.Y.
- Records: Oswego 3-2-1 (SUNYAC 3-0-1), Brockport 5-1-0 (SUNYAC 3-1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lakers came out fast against undefeated Brockport, with multiple offensive chances, they were unable to capitalize in the opening minutes.
- Oswego kept the relentless offensive pressure going, resulting in a power play.
- After a Brockport penalty at 14:36 for tripping, Trent Grimshaw found himself alone on the left side of the goaltender. Grimshaw slid one swiftly on the ice through the wickets.
- Connor Sleeth and Ben Addison assisted the power play tally.
- After a couple of sets of offsetting penalties in the second period, the Lakers found themselves on another powerplay.
- Ben Addison found Rocco Andreacchi at the point, just out of reach for the Brockport defense. Andreacchi took no time with a slapshot from the right point, getting through with authority to give the Lakers a 2-0 lead.
- Grimshaw also added an assist on the Lakers second tally, his second point of the contest.
- At 15:52 of the second period, Brockport broke through, cutting the Laker lead in half.
- With 12:39 remaining in the third period, Kozikoski found himself in a position to make a game-altering save, he made no mistake as he shut the Brockport offense down on the power play multiple times.
- With 8:18 remaining the Lakers finished fighting off their fourth man-down situation, with many chances, Kozikoski shut the door once again for the Lakers.
- In the final minutes of the third period the Lakers did an exceptional job of keeping the Golden Eagles out of their scoring zone.
- With 1:07 remaining the Lakers took what could have been a costly penalty as Brockport added an extra attacker to give them a 6-on-4 advantage.
- Kozikoski continued the trend of huge saves, with 00:13 remaining and 00:03 seconds remaining, 33 came up with the puck to solidify the victory for the Lakers.
- Oswego won the faceoff battle 30-27.
- The Lakers improve their powerplay percentage, going 2-5 tonight.
- Along with their powerplay clicking, their penalty kill shined as well, going 5-5.
- AJ Ryan (5), Travis Broughman (4), Tyson Kirkby (4), Ryan Dickinson (3), Josh LeBlanc (3) and Tommy Cahill (3) were among others recording shots on goal for the Lakers.
The Lakers will return to the Deborah F. Stanley Arena and Convocation hall tomorrow at 7:00PM to take on top-ranked Geneseo.
@OswegoAthletics | FB: OswegoAthleticsOfficial | IG: oswegoathletics