Raiders Rally Back, Earn Shootout Win


HAMILTON — Colgate erased a three-goal deficit as the Raiders played No. 11 Cornell to a 4-4 tie Saturday before taking the extra league standings point in a shootout.


The Raiders fed off the energy of a sold-out crowd of 2,271 people at the Class of 1965 Arena as they battled back after falling behind 3-0 early in the first period.


Colton Young notched a four-point performance with two goals and two assists, while Nick Anderson tallied a goal and an assist.


Colgate took the shootout 2-1 after Ethan Manderville tied it, and Ross Mitton delivered the go-ahead goal. Carter Gylander stopped the Big Red’s final six shootout attempts to seal the deal.


The game was sent to overtime after Cornell tied it up at 4-4 with 4:07 remaining. Neither side was able to convert during the four-on-four extra period.


Colton Young netted his second goal of the game, and his eighth of the season, at the 12:01 mark of the second to give Colgate a 4-3 lead. Anderson played the puck to Reid Irwin, who passed ahead to Young. The senior spun around a defender before turning back around and ripping a shot past the goalie.


Manderville tied the game up at 3-3 a minute and 52 seconds into the middle frame. Matt Verboon passed to Colton Young, who took a shot from in front of the goal that got saved, but Manderville was able to finish off the rebound.


With 0.4 seconds remaining in the opening period, Anderson found the back of the net to make it a one-goal game at 3-2. Colton Young passed to brother Alex Young, who dished the puck to Anderson, setting up a one-time shot from the point that he rifled home.


Colton Young got Colgate on the board when he scored with 3:45 left in the first. Simon Labelle intercepted a pass in the Big Red’s offensive zone and tapped it to Young as the senior made a move around the goalie and tapped the puck into the net.

Cornell came out firing in the first, scoring three goals to take a 3-0 lead. It began with Ben Berard scoring a minute and 13 seconds into the game to give the Big Red the lead. Nick DeSantis then put one in off passes from Berard and Gabriel Seger. Four minutes later, Jack Malone fired the puck in the goal to make it 3-0 Big Red.


Colgate killed off a pair of penalties in the game, one coming in the first and one in the second. The Raiders have now not allowed a power play goal in seven-straight contests.


Despite giving up the early goals, Gylander stood strong in the net for Colgate, tallying 27 saves on the night.



Head Coach Don Vaughan


“What a game and what an atmosphere. I am proud of our guys to come back from three goals down and get the extra point in the shootout. It’s a big extra point. We had a number of guys step up, especially on the back end. With Pierson, Stark, and Watson-Brawn out we had that next-man-up attitude. Just a great job by those guys. I can’t say enough about our students tonight. Section 13 was rocking and I want to thank them for their support. They gave us that little bit extra to help us come back. They were the seventh man tonight. We will enjoy this one and get back to work on Monday. Eyes forward. Go Gate!”



The Raiders welcome St. Lawrence and Clarkson to the Class of 1965 Arena next weekend in its final two home games of the regular season. Colgate will honor its seniors before Saturday’s game.



Visit Source

Related Articles