MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – SUNY Morrisville sophomore goalkeeper Emma Plett (Mitchell, Man.) collected 50 total stops Friday evening as the host Mustangs dropped the Northeast Women’s Hockey League (NEWHL) opener to nationally ranked no. 3 Plattsburgh by a 6-1 final in Morrisville.
- Final Score: Morrisville 1, Plattsburgh 6
- Location: Morrisville IcePlex, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 0-2-1, 0-1-0 NEWHL, Plattsburgh 1-0-0, 1-0-0 NEWHL
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Visiting SUNY Plattsburgh collected a 6-1 NEWHL victory Friday evening in Morrisville over the host Mustangs, as both teams opened league action.
- Plattsburgh was able to put the first tally on the board with a power play score 4:04 into the opening period, before Morrisville countered with one of their own nearly four minutes later with a power play tally from captain Rhys Brown (Kemptville, Ont.).
- Brown, who gathered the rebound off an initial shot from Alana McDonald (Potsdam, N.Y.) put the puck over the glove of Cardinals netminder Lilla Nease for the equalizer.
- McDonald along with Pippy Pritchard (Saskatoon, Sask.) were credited with the assists on the goal at the 7:52 mark.
- Plattsburgh put in three additional tallies before the end of the first to carry a commanding 4-1 intermission lead, despite a 22 save effort from Mustangs goalkeeper Emma Plett (Mitchell, Man.).
- Plett added another double digit effort in the second, turning away 18 as Plattsburgh was able to sneak just one more in, before closing out the contest with 10 stops in the third.
- Plett posted 50 total saves across the contest.
- Mae Olshansky scored twice for Plattsburgh to lead the way, with teammate Sierra Benjamin adding a goal to go along with two assists.
- Nease finished with 17 saves in the win.
- Morrisville returns to the ice tomorrow at 1, hosting the Cardinals in a second NEWHL match on the Mustangs home ice.