OSWEGO, N.Y. – The number one team in the nation, Geneseo, jumped on top of the Oswego State men’s hockey team early and cruised to a 6-1 win at the Deborah F. Stanley Arena while handing the Lakers their first loss in State University of New York Athletic Conference action.
- Final Score: Geneseo 6, Oswego 1
- Location: Deborah F. Stanley Arena, Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Geneseo 6-0-1 (4-0-1 SUNYAC), Oswego 3-3-1 (3-1-1 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo scored four times in the opening period with goals at 6:33, 11:32, 13:20 and 14:04 to take control of the game.
- Their third goal was scored on the power play and chased Lakers starter Steven Kozikoski.
- In the second period, the Knights added a two-on-one goal and a second power play tally via a five-on-three to push their lead out to 6-0.
- Oswego killed off a second five-on-three later in the period to prevent any further damage.
- The hosts got their own five-on-three with just over five minutes left in the contest and were able to capitalize when Alex DiCarlo scored on a sharp-angle blast.
- Connor Sleeth and Tyson Kirkby notched assists on the goal.
- Geneseo killed off the second part of the power play and another tripping penalty before getting two point-blank chances in even strength that Eric Green stopped before the final horn sounded.
- The statistics belied the final score in that Oswego had edges in shots (49-39), shots-on-goal (23-17) and faceoffs won (45-22).
- Geneseo’s defense blocked 12 shots in front of their goaltender to help stifle the Laker offense.
- Junior Tyson Kirkby led Oswego with 14 won faceoffs and Tommy Cahill had 10.
- In terms of shots, it was DiCarlo with eight and Travis Broughman with six for the Lakers.
Men’s Hockey hits the road for a 7 p.m. contest at Williams on Saturday, November 27.
@OswegoAthletics | FB: OswegoAthleticsOfficial | IG: oswegoathletics