MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – Morrisville took an early first period lead, but a four-goal second period by the visiting Flying Dutchmen from Lebanon Valley was ultimately the difference maker in the Mustangs season opening loss.
- Final Score: Morrisville 3, Lebanon Valley 4
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 0-1-0 (0-0-0 NEWHL), Lebanon Valley 1-0-0 (0-0-0 UCHC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Morrisville opened the scoring quickly in the first period when Rhys Brown (Kemptville, Ont.) got free on a breakaway just over three minutes into the contest.
- Brown struck again just over 10 minutes later to give the home squad a 2-0 advantage as she redirected Logyn Nyitrai’s (Acton, Ont.) initial shot from the point into the back of the net. Hailee Easson (Okotoks, Alta.) picked up the second assist on the play.
- The Mustangs were dominant in the attacking zone in the first period, outshooting the visiting Flying Dutchmen 22-7.
- Lebanon Valley found their chance to cut the Mustang’s lead in half and capitalized on it in the fourth minute of the second period with a power play strike.
- From that point on in the second, it was all Flying Dutchmen as they rattled off three more to take a 4-2 lead into the third period.
- Morrisville put the pressure back on to Lebanon Valley throughout the third, pelting the crease with 24 shots on goal.
- The Mustangs’ persistence paid off in the last minute of play when Brown passed ahead to Alana McDonald (Potsdam, N.Y.) for the score to bring Morrisville within one.
- Unfortunately, that was all Morrisville could get and the 4-3 final score held in favor of the Flying Dutchmen.
NEXT UP FOR THE MUSTANGS
The Mustangs continue their opening weekend tomorrow with an afternoon road contest at Alvernia University. Puck drop is set for 2 PM in Reading, Pa.
SUNY Morrisville’s curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges 2020 issue and was among the top 10 performers for social mobility, and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2020 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about SUNY Morrisville, visit www.morrisville.edu.