MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Mustangs weathered a late third period push by the Rivier University Raiders to claim their first win of the season 2-1.
- Final Score: Morrisville 2, Rivier 1
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 1-5-0, Rivier 3-3-0
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Mustangs controlled the momentum throughout the first two periods, outshooting the visiting Raiders 20-7.
- Despite the shot disparity, Morrisville was unable to get on the scoreboard until the 7:01 mark in the second.
- Jake Kaplan (Bowie, Md.) was credited with his third goal of the season after redirecting a shot from the point off of the stick of Michael Keating (Burlington, Ont.).
- Keating notched the first assist on the goal, while James Boisvert (Mansfield, Tex.) picked up the second assist.
- Rivier flipped the script in terms of shots in the third, but the Mustangs would pick up a much needed insurance goal in the 13th minute of play in the third.
- Eric Melso (Philadelphia, Pa.) notched the goal in transition off of a pass from Jestin Somero (New Ipswich, N.H.). Ben Sprague (Norfolk, N.Y.) was also credited with the second assist after clearing the puck to Somero.
- Melso’s tally was much needed as the Raiders capitalized on a power play in the 15th minute of the third to cut the Mustangs’ lead in half.
- However, the Morrisville defense was outstanding in the closing minutes of play to secure the 2-1 victory.
- Garrett Boyonoski (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.) picked up his first career win in net for the Mustangs recording 18 saves including 11 in the third period.
NEXT UP FOR THE MUSTANGS
The Mustangs will return to the ice tomorrow afternoon to close out their non-conference series against the Raiders. Morrisville will be celebrating the careers of their three graduating seniors prior to the contest which is set to begin at 4 PM.
SUNY Morrisville’s curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges 2020 issue and was among the top 10 performers for social mobility, and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2020 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about SUNY Morrisville, visit www.morrisville.edu.