By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey.
John Briggs is the new Head Coach of the Morrisville Mustangs Women’s Hockey Team the school announced on Tuesday. Briggs is replacing the departed Melissa Lomanto, who had led the team since the program’s inception.
Briggs comes to Morrisville after serving as an Assistant Coach at the Mustang’s NEWHL rival the Cortland Red Dragons. He was behind the bench at Cortland for two seasons and was a part of the coaching staff that was named the 2021-22 NEWHL Coaching Staff of the Year. Briggs’s time at Cortland was his first collegiate coaching position.
SUNY Morrisville Director of Athletics Matt Grawrock commented “The energy that John brings is infectious and we’re looking forward to that energy with our team. He has had tremendous success helping Cortland for the past few seasons, and it was easy to see the vision he has for the program, and how it will influence each of our student-athletes.”
Briggs is eager to get started at Morrisville, saying “I am extremely excited and privileged to be here at Morrisville and build a women’s ice hockey program which can compete at the highest level. The campus and athletic set up is superb and our goal is for the team to match such an outstanding facility and the family environment here at Morrisville.”
Cortland finished the 2022-23 season with an overall record of 20-7-0 with a 14-4-0 record in the NEWHL and was ranked fourteenth in the final USCHO poll of the season. The NEWHL will be absorbed into the SUNYAC beginning next season (2023-24).
Credit https://morrisvillemustangs.com for the quotations from both Briggs and Grawrock.
- Mike Harder ’97 Named Head Men’s Hockey CoachHAMILTON – Mike Harder ’97 has been named the Donald F. Vaughan Head Men’s Hockey Coach, announced Friday by Colgate University Interim Vice President and Director of Athletics Yariv Amir ’01. Harder makes his return to Colgate after spending six years (2013-2019) as an assistant coach for his alma mater. As a coach for the […]
- Utica University Mens Hockey Has Strong Start to the Recruiting SeasonPhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. The Utica University Men’s Hockey Team enjoyed another successful season in 2022-23, rising all the way to the number one ranking in the USCHO poll during the regular season. They went undefeated in the UCHC, winning the regular season crown and the tournament championship. The Pioneers […]
- LABERGE RETURNS TO COMETS IN 2023-24 SEASON | Utica Comets Official WebsiteMay 23, 2023 Utica, NY. – Utica Comets General Manager, Dan MacKinnon, announced today that the team has signed forward Samuel Laberge to a one-year AHL contract for the 2023-24 season. Sam Laberge, 26, played in 43 games for Utica during the 2022-23 season and scored eight goald and eight assists for 16 points. Spending […]
- AHL Off-Season Primer: Explaining Contracts, Waivers, and the Development RulePhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. In most of the American Hockey League, the off-season has begun (in a few weeks the off-season will begin for the rest of the league). For some, the off-season means a time to “unplug” from hockey and forget about the game until September. For others, it […]
- Danielle Slominski Named Women's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach – Oswego State AthleticsOSWEGO, N.Y. – Oswego State Athletics Assistant Vice President/Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Wendy McManus and Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Mark Digby have named Danielle Slominski the next Assistant Coach of the Women’s Ice Hockey program. “I’m really excited to see someone with Dani’s experience and personality join our program” Digby said. “It was very […]