HERSHEY, PA. – The SUNY Morrisville men’s ice hockey team opened the 2022-23 season slate Saturday evening with a 5-1 win over non-conference Lebanon Valley College in Hershey, Pa. using a strong four-goal second period to claim the victory.
- Final Score: Morrisville 5, Lebanon Valley 1
- Location: Hersheypark Arena, Hershey, Pa.
- Records: Morrisville 1-0-0, Lebanon Valley 0-2-0
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Visiting SUNY Morrisville rifled off four second period scores Saturday evening en route to a 5-1 non-conference win over host Lebanon Valley College in Hershey, opening the 2022-23 season on the road.
- After a scoreless opening period, Morrisville got the ball rolling just 53 seconds into the second with a score from Trevor Grasby (Holland Landing, Ont.), finding Eric Melso (Philadelphia, Pa.) three minutes later for a 2-0 visitor lead.
- Melso, who assisted Grasby’s power play score alongside James Boisvert (Mansfield, Tex.), put the second puck past the Dutchman goaltender at the 3:48 mark.
- After a LebValley tally brought the hosts within one, Morrisville rattled off two straight to regain the multi-goal lead, the third score coming from Cameron Clark (Daytona Beach, Fla.) at the 16:29 mark on the power play opportunity, before a second in the period by Grasby with seconds to go before the second intermission.
- Melso picked up his second assist on Clark’s tally along with newcomer Jacob Black (Fergus, Ont.).
- Black also assisted Grasby along with Andrew Manley (Whitesboro, N.Y.) as the freshmen picked up their first collegiate points.
- Morrisville carried a three goal lead into the third, adding a final score at the 5:27 mark as Chris Mott (Nesconset, N.Y.) buried the dish from Richard Hart (Liverpool, N.Y.) and Boisvert.
- Ryan Creenan (Colonia, N.J.) got the nod for the start between the pipes, turning away 24 across all three periods of play.
- Morrisville returns to the ice Wednesday as they open SUNYAC play against conference favored SUNY Geneseo. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. on the Mustangs home ice in Morrisville.