OSWEGO, N.Y. – Laker goalie Steven Kozikoski stood tall in net during the third period that saw Morrisville State go on multiple five-on-three chances, and even a six-on-three at one point, in helping the Oswego State men’s ice hockey team defeat the Mustangs by a 5-1 score. Tyson Kirkby scored the all-important first goal to make it rain teddy bears on the United Way Toy and Food Drive night.
- Final Score: Oswego 5, Morrisville State 1
- Location: Deborah F. Stanley Arena, Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Oswego 7-3-1 (4-1-1 SUNYAC), Morrisville State 3-7-1 (0-6 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game remained scoreless until six and half minutes into the contest when Kirkby took a cross-ice pass down low and scored on the Laker power play.
- Rocco Andreacchi and Ben Addison facilitated the Kirkby goal and the raining of Teddy Bears onto the home ice.
- Oswego nearly added a second goal two minutes later on another power play when Garrett Clegg smashed a one-timer off the Morrisville post and the follow up was cleared wide.
- As that power play was expiring, Tyler Flack stopped a clearing attempt by the Mustangs and swung a pass into the middle to Andreacchi.
- Andreacchi moved towards the goal, drew the defense to him and then found Kirkby out wide for the shot past the Morrisville goalie and the 2-0 lead.
- Four minutes into the second period, junior Troy Robillard took an even-strength pass up high in the offensive zone, moved forward and fired it through traffic for the third Laker goal.
- AJ Ryan and Ryan Bunka were credited with assists on Robillard’s goal.
- Just three minutes later, Flack won an even-strength faceoff in the offensive zone back to the boards where Quinn Warmuth fired the puck through a trio of players and through the five-hole of the Mustangs’ goalie.
- Oswego started down a man from a penalty just as time expired in the second period and added another five-minute major penalty to go down two men right off the bat in the third period.
- Morrisville capitalized with a goal 1:56 into the period to cut the lead to 4-1.
- As the Lakers continued to kill off the five-minute major, they took a tripping call to go down two men again at 4:03 into the period.
- The Mustangs pulled their goalie to make it a six-on-three, but Kozikoski came up huge in the sequence as Oswego was able to kill off both penalties and keep their three-goal lead.
- Late in the contest, on their own power play, Alex DiCarlo quashed any hopes of a comeback with a Laker goal that was assisted by Ryan Dickinson.
- With 40 seconds left in the game, Morrisville drew a penalty shot attempt, but Kozikoski came up big with a blocker save, his thirtieth of the contest.
- The Mustangs ended with a 30-26 shots-on-goal advantage and a 63-50 edge in shots taken.
Oswego will head over to Rochester for a 7 p.m. contest with Nazareth College next Saturday.
@OswegoAthletics | FB: OswegoAthleticsOfficial | IG: oswegoathletics