OSWEGO, N.Y. – The Oswego State men’s ice hockey team’s special teams scored two power play goals and held Williams to 0-for-9 on their power play in a 3-0 victory. Laker goalie Steven Kozikoski pitched the shutout with 24 saves.
- Final Scores: Oswego State 3, Williams 0
- Location: Lansing Chapman Rink, Williams College, Williamstown, Mass.
- Records: Oswego 4-3-1, Williams 2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With eight minutes left in the first period, with the Ephs on the power play, Josh LeBlanc tapped a pass by the Williams defense for a breakaway.
- LeBlanc moved from the left across to the middle of the offensive zone and fired a shot on goal that was narrowly stopped.
- A few minutes later and on the power play, Travis Broughman swung a pass out to the wing where Garrett Clegg fired it on goal.
- The Ephs made the initial save but Shane Bull gathered the rebound and snapped it in for the 1-0 lead with 4:22 left in the opening period.
- Three minutes later and after Oswego killed off the Ephs third power play of the period, they earned the third power play of their own with about forty-eight seconds remaining.
- The Lakers won the ensuing faceoff and swung it back up to Clegg at the point who fired a wrister over the left shoulder of the Williams goalie for the 2-0 lead.
- Bull earned the assist on the goal and Oswego took the two-goal cushion into the intermission.
- Kozikoski was big in the second period, stopping a three-on-one chance and making some key saves in the Ephs’ second power play of the period.
- The final two minutes saw Oswego take a pair of penalties and kill off a five-on-three in the final 37 seconds of the period.
- Williams was set to start the third period with 24 seconds of five-on-three and then almost a minute of additional power play.
- Kozikoski made a big glove save through traffic to start the third period during the five-on-three segment to help kill off the two-man advantage.
- Oswego then killed off the second power play to maintain their 2-0 lead.
- With just under a minute left, Broughman gathered the puck near the top of the Laker defensive zone and skated it all the way into the Ephs’ empty net.
- There were 18 total penalties called in the contest, with Oswego going 2-for-8 on their chances.
- Williams outshot the Lakers 50-42, with a 24-18 edge on-goal.
The teams return to action with a rematch at 3 p.m. tomorrow in Williamstown.
@OswegoAthletics | FB: OswegoAthleticsOfficial | IG: oswegoathletics