By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey.
The #19 Colgate Raiders take on the #2 Michigan Wolverines on Friday night in Allentown, Pennsylvania in the first round of the 2023 NCAA Men’s Hockey Tournament. The game marks a long-awaited return to the NCAA Tournament for the Raiders, as their last appearance was in 2014. The Raiders and the Wolverines enter the tournament coming off championship victories in their respective conferences, as Colgate won the ECAC Tournament and Michigan took the Big Ten crown for the second consecutive season..
It is all on the line Friday night, as the loser will see their season end. The winner of this game will play the winner of the Penn State vs Michigan Tech game – which will be played prior to the Colgate vs Michigan contest. Let’s take a look at how the Colgate Raiders and Michigan Wolverines match up against each other.
Colgate Raiders Team Records
- Overall Record: 19-15-5 (ranked #19 nationally).
- Conference Record: 11-8-3 (ECAC).
- Neutral Site Record: 2-0-0.
- Goal Differential: +14.
- Head Coach: Don Vaughan.
Michigan Wolverines Team Records
- Overall Record: 24-11-3 (ranked #2 nationally).
- Conference Record: 12-10-2 (Big Ten).
- Neutral Site Record: 1-1-0.
- Goal Differential: +35.
- Head Coach: Brandon Naurato (interim).
315 Hockey’s Colgate Raiders team overview: Don’t Sleep on the Colgate Raiders.
Colgate Raiders Team Offense
- Goals For: 112.
- Goals Per Game: 2.9 (29th in Division I).
- Shots: 1,142.
- Shots Per Game: 29.3.
- Power Play: 21.7% (34 for 157 – 22nd in Division I).
Michigan Wolverines Team Offense
- Goals For: 156.
- Goals Per Game: 4.1 (1st in Division I).
- Shots: 1,304.
- Shots Per Game: 34.3.
- Power Play: 23.0% (35 for 152 – 16th in Division I).
315 Hockey’s Michigan Wolverines team overview: A Look at the Michigan Wolverines Men’s Hockey Team.
Colgate Raiders Top Five Scorers + Individual Leaders
1.) Alex Young: 21 goals + 18 assists = 39 points. Young is tied for 5th in Division I in goals and tied for 14th in points.
2.) Matt Verboon: 16 goals + 19 assists = 35 points. Verboon is tied for 18th in Division I in points.
3.) Nick Anderson: 3 goals + 26 assists = 29 points. Anderson is tied for 10th in Division I in assists.
4.) Colton Young: 11 goals + 16 assists = 27 points.
5.) Ross Mitton: 9 goals + 18 assists = 27 points.
- Shots Leader: Colton Young with 143.
- Power Play Goals Leader: Alex Young with nine. Young is tied for 4th in Division I in power-play goals.
- Game Winning Goals Leader: Alex Young, Colton Young, and Ross Mitin with three each.
- +/- Leader: Nick Anderson at +9.
Michigan Wolverines Top Five Scorers + Individual Leaders
1.) Adam Fantilli: 27 goals + 34 assists = 61 points. Fantilli is 1st in Division I in points, 2nd in goals, and 3rd in assists.
2.) Luke Hughes: 9 goals + 33 assists = 42 points. Hughes is tied for 4th in Division I in assists and tied for 11th in points.
3.) Mackie Samoskevich: 19 goals + 21 assists = 40 points. Samoskevich is tied for 7th in Division I in goals and tied for 13th in points.
4.) Gavin Brindley: 11 goals + 25 assists = 36 points. Brindley is tied for 11th in Division I in assists and tied for 17th in points.
5.) Rutger McGroarty: 15 goals + 19 assists = 34 points. McGroarty is tied for 19th in Division I in points.
- Shots Leader: Adam Fantilli with 129.
- Power Play Goals Leader: Adam Fantilli with nine. Fantilli is tied for 4th in Division I in power-play goals.
- Game Winning Goals Leader: Adam Fantilli with four.
- +/- Leader: Adam Fantilli at +30.
Colgate Raiders Team Defense
- Goals Against: 98.
- Goals Against Per Game: 2.5 (14th in Division I).
- Shots Allowed: 1,128.
- Shots Allowed Per Game: 28.9.
- Penalty Kill: 83.8% (109 for 130 – 12th in Division I).
- Shorthanded Goals Scored: 4.
Michigan Wolverines Team Defense
- Goals Against: 121.
- Goals Against Per Game: 3.2 (44th in Division I).
- Shots Allowed: 1,285.
- Shots Allowed Per Game: 33.8.
- Penalty Kill: 77.1% (131 for 170 – 50th in Division I).
- Shorthanded Goals Scored: 1.
Colgate Raiders Goaltenders
- Carter Gylander: Record: 19-14-5 / GAA: 2.31 / Save Percentage: 0.918 / Saves: 1,011 / Shutouts: 2. Gylander is 1st in Division I in minutes played, tied for 6th in wins, tied for 11th in save percentage, and 19th in GAA.
- Andrew Takacs: Record: 0-1-0 / GAA: 2.67 / Save Percentage: 0.864 / Saves: 19 / Shutouts: 0.
- Nick Haas: No Statistics.
Michigan Wolverines Goaltenders
- Erik Portillo: Record: 23-10-2 / GAA: 3.08 / Save Percentage: 0.907 / Saves: 1,060 / Shutouts: 0. Portillo is tied for 3rd in Division I in wins, and 9th in minutes played.
- Noah West: Record: 1-1-1 / GAA: 2.92 / Save Percentage: 0.920 / Saves: 104 / Shutouts: 0.
- Tyler Shea: No Statistics.
Friday night’s Colgate Raiders vs Michigan Wolverines game from the PPL Center in Allentown, PA is scheduled to begin at 8:30 pm EDT. The game will be televised on ESPN2 and ESPN+, and live statistics can be tracked at https://ncaa.com. For more information about Colgate Raiders hockey, visit https://colgateathletics.com. For more on Michigan Wolverines hockey, visit https://mgoblue.com.
- Mike Harder ’97 Named Head Men’s Hockey CoachHAMILTON – Mike Harder ’97 has been named the Donald F. Vaughan Head Men’s Hockey Coach, announced Friday by Colgate University Interim Vice President and Director of Athletics Yariv Amir ’01. Harder makes his return to Colgate after spending six years (2013-2019) as an assistant coach for his alma mater. As a coach for the […]
- Utica University Mens Hockey Has Strong Start to the Recruiting SeasonPhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. The Utica University Men’s Hockey Team enjoyed another successful season in 2022-23, rising all the way to the number one ranking in the USCHO poll during the regular season. They went undefeated in the UCHC, winning the regular season crown and the tournament championship. The Pioneers […]
- LABERGE RETURNS TO COMETS IN 2023-24 SEASON | Utica Comets Official WebsiteMay 23, 2023 Utica, NY. – Utica Comets General Manager, Dan MacKinnon, announced today that the team has signed forward Samuel Laberge to a one-year AHL contract for the 2023-24 season. Sam Laberge, 26, played in 43 games for Utica during the 2022-23 season and scored eight goald and eight assists for 16 points. Spending […]
- AHL Off-Season Primer: Explaining Contracts, Waivers, and the Development RulePhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. In most of the American Hockey League, the off-season has begun (in a few weeks the off-season will begin for the rest of the league). For some, the off-season means a time to “unplug” from hockey and forget about the game until September. For others, it […]
- Danielle Slominski Named Women's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach – Oswego State AthleticsOSWEGO, N.Y. – Oswego State Athletics Assistant Vice President/Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Wendy McManus and Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Mark Digby have named Danielle Slominski the next Assistant Coach of the Women’s Ice Hockey program. “I’m really excited to see someone with Dani’s experience and personality join our program” Digby said. “It was very […]