Photo credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey.
By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey.
The final weekend of the 2022-23 regular season is upon us, and the Colgate Raiders Men’s Hockey Team holds its ECAC Tournament destiny in its own hands. They are in fourth place in the conference with a record of 11-7-2 for 34 points. The fifth-place St. Lawrence Saints have 34 points as well, but the Raiders are in fourth place by virtue of the fact they hold the tiebreaker between the two teams. Neither Colgate nor St Lawrence can catch third place Cornell, as the Big Red has 41 points with each team having only two games left. Trailing both the Raiders and Saints in sixth place is the Clarkson Golden Knights with 28 points in the standings.
New Jersey Warriors Visit Central New York
All twelve teams in the ECAC qualify for the conference’s postseason tournament, so why is this such a crucial weekend for the Colgate Raiders? The answer, simply put, is seeding. Seeds five through twelve will face each other in one game winner takes all matchups to determine who advances to the quarterfinals round which is a best-of-three format. The top four seeds entering the tournament receive a bye for the opening-round matchups, and should they remain in fourth place, the Raiders will host the highest seed remaining from the first-round matchups.
The winner of the ECAC Tournament gets an automatic spot in the NCAA Tournament.
Colgate will play their final two games on the road against opponents they have already defeated once this season. On Friday night, they the Yale Bulldogs – a team they blew out on November 19th at the Class of 1965 Arena by a score of 7-1. On Saturday night, the Raiders will be in Providence, RI to face the Brown University Bears to close out the regular season. The Raiders edged the Bears 3-2 in overtime on November 18th in a game that was played at the Class of 1965 Arena as well. Yale is currently in eleventh place in the ECAC standings, while Brown is in tenth place.
Both the Yale and Brown games are scheduled to begin at 7 pm EST. For more information about Colgate Raiders hockey, visit https://colgateathletics.com.
- Mike Harder ’97 Named Head Men’s Hockey CoachHAMILTON – Mike Harder ’97 has been named the Donald F. Vaughan Head Men’s Hockey Coach, announced Friday by Colgate University Interim Vice President and Director of Athletics Yariv Amir ’01. Harder makes his return to Colgate after spending six years (2013-2019) as an assistant coach for his alma mater. As a coach for the […]
- Utica University Mens Hockey Has Strong Start to the Recruiting SeasonPhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. The Utica University Men’s Hockey Team enjoyed another successful season in 2022-23, rising all the way to the number one ranking in the USCHO poll during the regular season. They went undefeated in the UCHC, winning the regular season crown and the tournament championship. The Pioneers […]
- LABERGE RETURNS TO COMETS IN 2023-24 SEASON | Utica Comets Official WebsiteMay 23, 2023 Utica, NY. – Utica Comets General Manager, Dan MacKinnon, announced today that the team has signed forward Samuel Laberge to a one-year AHL contract for the 2023-24 season. Sam Laberge, 26, played in 43 games for Utica during the 2022-23 season and scored eight goald and eight assists for 16 points. Spending […]
- AHL Off-Season Primer: Explaining Contracts, Waivers, and the Development RulePhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. In most of the American Hockey League, the off-season has begun (in a few weeks the off-season will begin for the rest of the league). For some, the off-season means a time to “unplug” from hockey and forget about the game until September. For others, it […]
- Danielle Slominski Named Women's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach – Oswego State AthleticsOSWEGO, N.Y. – Oswego State Athletics Assistant Vice President/Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Wendy McManus and Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Mark Digby have named Danielle Slominski the next Assistant Coach of the Women’s Ice Hockey program. “I’m really excited to see someone with Dani’s experience and personality join our program” Digby said. “It was very […]