By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey.
The Colgate Raiders Men’s Hockey Team and the St. Lawrence Saints were destined to clash in the ECAC Tournament. On Friday night, that date with destiny begins as they square off in game one of a best of three Quarterfinals matchup in the ECAC Tournament. Colgate is the fifth seed in the tournament and St. Lawrence is fourth, and by virtue of holding that higher seed, the Saints will host all games in the series at historic Appleton Arena.
The Raiders and Saints battled for that fourth seed in the tournament all the way through the last day of the regular season. They were tied in the conference points entering the final weekend, and both lost their games on Friday night. The next night, St. Lawrence defeated Dartmouth in regulation while the Raiders mustered a tie against Brown. Despite the Raiders winning both regular-season matchups against the Saints (4-1 at St Lawrence on November 12th and 3-2 in overtime at Colgate on February 17th), the results of the last night of the regular season gave St. Lawrence the fourth seed and a first-round bye in the ECAC Tournament.
After losing out on the fourth seed, the Raiders were forced to play a one-game first-round contest hosting the twelfth-seeded Dartmouth Big Green. Colgate took care of business by defeating Dartmouth 5-3 to set up this showdown with their rivals to the north.
The Colgate vs St. Lawrence rivalry started in 1927, and this time a trip to Lake Placid, NY, and a birth in the Semifinals of the ECAC Tournament is on the line. Let’s take a look at how the Raiders and Saints match up against each other.
Colgate Raiders Team Records
- ECAC Record: 11-8-3, 5th seed in the ECAC Tournament.
- Away Record: 6-10-1.
- Goal Differential: +10.
- Head Coach: Don Vaughan.
St. Lawrence Saints Team Records
- Overall Record: 17-17-0.
- ECAC Record: 12-10-0, 4th seed in the ECAC Tournament.
- Home Record: 11-5-0.
- Goal Differential: -12.
- Head Coach: Brent Brekke.
Colgate Raiders Team Offense
- Goals For: 100.
- Goals Per Game: 2.9 (31st in Division I).
- Shots: 1,016.
- Shots Per Game: 29.0.
- Power Play: 22.1% (32 for 145 – 20th in Division I).
St. Lawrence Saints Team Offense
- Goals For: 83.
- Goals Per Game: 2.4 (48th in Division I).
- Shots: 908.
- Shots Per Game: 26.7.
- Power Play: 16.3% (20 for 123).
Colgate Raiders Top Five Scorers + Individual Leaders
1.) Alex Young: 19 goals + 17 assists = 36 points. Young is tied for 13th in Division I in goals and tied for 26th in points.
2.) Matt Verboon: 15 goals + 17 assists = 32 points. Verboon is tied for 36th in Division I in goals.
3.) Nick Anderson: 3 goals + 23 assists = 26 points. Anderson is tied for 18th in Division I in assists.
4.) Ross Mitton: 8 goals + 17 assists = 25 points.
5.) Alex DiPaolo: 10 goals + 14 assists = 24 points.
- Shots Leader: Colton Young with 130.
- Power Pay Goals Leader: Alex Young with nine. Young is tied for 3rd in Division I in power-play goals.
- Game Winning Goals Leader: Alex Young with three.
- +/- Leader: Anthony Stark at +8.
St. Lawrence Saints Top Five Scorers + Individual Leaders
1.) Luc Salem: 10 goals + 16 assists = 26 points.
2.) Cameron Buhl: 9 goals + 7 assists = 16 points.
3.) Ty Naaykens: 2 goals + 13 assists = 15 points.
4.) Phillipe Chapleau: 1 goal + 13 assists = 14 points.
5.) Mason Waite: 1 goal + 13 assists = 14 points.
- Shots Leader: Cameron Buhl with 95.
- Power Play Goals Leader: Cameron Buhl with six. Buhl is tied for 6th in Division I in power-play goals.
- Game Winning Goals Leader: Luc Salem with four.
- +/- Leader: Luc Salem at +10.
Colgate Raiders Team Defense
- Goals Against: 90.
- Goals Against Per Game: 2.6 (18th in Division I).
- Shots Allowed: 987.
- Shots Allowed Per Game: 28.2.
- Penalty Kill: 83.8% (98 for 117 – 12th in Division I).
- Shorthanded Goals Scored: four (tied for 6th in Division I). Colton Young has two shorthanded goals which tie him 3rd in Division I.
St. Lawrence Saints Team Defense
- Goals Against: 95.
- Goals Against Per Game: 2.8 (29th in Division I).
- Shots Allowed: 901.
- Shots Allowed Per Game: 26.5.
- Penalty Kill: 81.5% (110 for 135 – 22nd in Division I).
- Shorthanded Goals Scored: four (tied for 6th in Division I). Aleksi Peltonen has two which ties him for 3rd in Division I.
Colgate Raiders Goaltenders
- Carter Gylander: Record: 15-14-5 / GAA: 2.39 / Save Percentage: 0.915 / Saves: 878 / Shutouts: 2. Gylander is 4thin Division I in minutes played, tied for 7th in shutouts, 23rd in GAA, and 24th in save percentage.
- Andrew Takacs: Record: 0-1-0 / GAA: 2.67 / Save Percentage: 0.864 / Saves: 19 / Shutouts: 0.
- Nick Haas: No Statistics.
St. Lawrence Saints Goaltenders
- Emil Zetterquist: Record: 17-17-0 / GAA: 2.60 / Save Percentage: 0.900 / Saves: 775 / Shutouts: 4. Zetterquist is tied for 5th in Division I in shutouts, 15th in minutes played, and 37th in GAA.
- Grant Adams: Record: 0-0-0 / GAA: 1.53 / Save Percentage: 0.941 / Saves: 16 / Shutouts: 0.
- Francis Boisvert: Record: 0-0-0 / GAA: 3.70 / Save Percentage: 0.938 / Saves: 15 / Shutouts: 0.
Friday and Saturday night’s games are scheduled to begin at 7 pm EST, and Sunday’s game if necessary will begin at 4 pm. All games will be streamed on ESPN+, for more information on Colgate Raiders hockey visit https://colgateathletics.com.
- Mike Harder ’97 Named Head Men’s Hockey CoachHAMILTON – Mike Harder ’97 has been named the Donald F. Vaughan Head Men’s Hockey Coach, announced Friday by Colgate University Interim Vice President and Director of Athletics Yariv Amir ’01. Harder makes his return to Colgate after spending six years (2013-2019) as an assistant coach for his alma mater. As a coach for the […]
- Utica University Mens Hockey Has Strong Start to the Recruiting SeasonPhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. The Utica University Men’s Hockey Team enjoyed another successful season in 2022-23, rising all the way to the number one ranking in the USCHO poll during the regular season. They went undefeated in the UCHC, winning the regular season crown and the tournament championship. The Pioneers […]
- LABERGE RETURNS TO COMETS IN 2023-24 SEASON | Utica Comets Official WebsiteMay 23, 2023 Utica, NY. – Utica Comets General Manager, Dan MacKinnon, announced today that the team has signed forward Samuel Laberge to a one-year AHL contract for the 2023-24 season. Sam Laberge, 26, played in 43 games for Utica during the 2022-23 season and scored eight goald and eight assists for 16 points. Spending […]
- AHL Off-Season Primer: Explaining Contracts, Waivers, and the Development RulePhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. In most of the American Hockey League, the off-season has begun (in a few weeks the off-season will begin for the rest of the league). For some, the off-season means a time to “unplug” from hockey and forget about the game until September. For others, it […]
- Danielle Slominski Named Women's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach – Oswego State AthleticsOSWEGO, N.Y. – Oswego State Athletics Assistant Vice President/Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Wendy McManus and Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Mark Digby have named Danielle Slominski the next Assistant Coach of the Women’s Ice Hockey program. “I’m really excited to see someone with Dani’s experience and personality join our program” Digby said. “It was very […]