Photo credit Scott Kinville/315 Hockey.
By Scott Weaver/315 Hockey.
Just under a month removed from Utica University Men’s hockey 2022-23 season in which Utica finished with a record identical to last season at 25-3-1. The team out-scored and out-shot their opponents by scoring 165 goals and 1474 shots on goal to 57 goals and 672 shots on goal, and also averaged 5.7 goals a game. The program has produced so many great players who moved on to play pro careers – some who are or have played overseas like Nicholas Miglio who is playing in the DEL2 for the Selber Wolfe and Conor Landrigan who is playing in the Slovakia2 League for HK Skaica. But for most, it’s the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) or other leagues in the US. You can add eight more players from this year’s team to the list as have signed with professional teams either in the ECHL or the SPHL. Below is the list of players who are moving on to professional careers after calling Utica their home.
- Connor Fedorek was a newcomer this past season and played twenty-nine games for the Pioneers. He has turned professional and has signed with the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL. Fedorek finished his Utica Career with four goals and twenty-one assists for twenty-five points.
- Lucas Herrmann who also played just one season for the Pioneers played twenty-nine games and has signed with the Pensacola Ice Flyers of the SPHL. Hermann finished his career with fifteen goals and twenty assists for thirty-five points.
- Mic Curran played two seasons for Utica for a total of fifty-seven games and has also signed with the Pensacola Ice Flyers of the SPHL. Curran finishes his career with nineteen goals and forty-five assists for sixty-four points.
- John Moncovich played four seasons for Utica for a total of eighty-eight games. Monocovich signed with the Fayetteville Marksman of the SPHL and finishes his college career with forty-five goals and forty-three assists for eighty-eight points.
- Brandon Osmundson played four seasons for Utica for a total of ninety-seven games. After playing his final game for Utica, Osmundson signed with the Knoxville Ice Bears of the SPHL. He finishes his career with thirty-seven goals, eighty-one assists for 111 points.
- Dante Zapata played four seasons and captained the Pioneers playing ninety-six games, and now plays for the Tulsa Oilers of the ECHL. Zapata finishes his career with forty-four goals and seventy-three assists for 117 points.
- Regan Cavanagh played five seasons for a total of 111 games (he earned an extra season of eligibility due to Covid). He is now playing professionally for the Norfolk Admirals of the ECHL. Cavanagh finishes his collegiate career with fifty-one goals and seventy assists for 121 points.
- Like Cavanagh, Justin Allen also played 5 seasons for a total of 119 games and has joined him in signing with the Norfolk Admirals of the ECHL. Allen finishes his college career with nineteen goals and eighty-nine assists for 108 points.
- Jaxon Rutkowski played four seasons for the Pioneers, totaling forty-two games. Rutkowski retired after this season from playing hockey and finished his career at Utica with two goals and four assists for six points.
- Mike Harder ’97 Named Head Men’s Hockey CoachHAMILTON – Mike Harder ’97 has been named the Donald F. Vaughan Head Men’s Hockey Coach, announced Friday by Colgate University Interim Vice President and Director of Athletics Yariv Amir ’01. Harder makes his return to Colgate after spending six years (2013-2019) as an assistant coach for his alma mater. As a coach for the […]
- Utica University Mens Hockey Has Strong Start to the Recruiting SeasonPhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. The Utica University Men’s Hockey Team enjoyed another successful season in 2022-23, rising all the way to the number one ranking in the USCHO poll during the regular season. They went undefeated in the UCHC, winning the regular season crown and the tournament championship. The Pioneers […]
- LABERGE RETURNS TO COMETS IN 2023-24 SEASON | Utica Comets Official WebsiteMay 23, 2023 Utica, NY. – Utica Comets General Manager, Dan MacKinnon, announced today that the team has signed forward Samuel Laberge to a one-year AHL contract for the 2023-24 season. Sam Laberge, 26, played in 43 games for Utica during the 2022-23 season and scored eight goald and eight assists for 16 points. Spending […]
- AHL Off-Season Primer: Explaining Contracts, Waivers, and the Development RulePhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. In most of the American Hockey League, the off-season has begun (in a few weeks the off-season will begin for the rest of the league). For some, the off-season means a time to “unplug” from hockey and forget about the game until September. For others, it […]
- Danielle Slominski Named Women's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach – Oswego State AthleticsOSWEGO, N.Y. – Oswego State Athletics Assistant Vice President/Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Wendy McManus and Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Mark Digby have named Danielle Slominski the next Assistant Coach of the Women’s Ice Hockey program. “I’m really excited to see someone with Dani’s experience and personality join our program” Digby said. “It was very […]