By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey.
The fifth-ranked Colgate Raiders Women’s Hockey Team faces another tough test this weekend when they face ECAC and close geographic rival, the tenth-ranked Cornell Big Red. On Friday afternoon the teams will square off in Colgate’s home rink at the Class of 1965 Arena, and then the teams will travel sixty-six miles southwest to play again on Saturday afternoon at Cornell’s Lynah Rink.
The ECAC is beyond a shadow of a doubt one of the toughest conferences in all of college hockey, as five of the top ten in the latest USCHO Division I Women’s Poll call the conference home. This includes both the Raiders and Big Red who occupy the third and fourth places in the ECAC respectively and are separated by only three and a half points.
The teams also played the same opponents last weekend as the Raiders fell to the fourth-ranked Quinnipiac Bobcats 2-1 on Friday, and then beat the Princeton Tigers 6-2 on Saturday. The Big Red beat the Tigers on Friday by a score of 4-1 on Friday and were then defeated by Quinnipiac 6-1 on Saturday. Cornell also played this past Tuesday night as they beat another regional rival in the Syracuse Orange 4-1 at the Tennity Ice Pavillion in Syracuse, NY. Colgate has not played since their game against Princeton last Saturday.
This two-game home in home series presents the Colgate Raiders an opportunity to give put some distance between themselves and Cornell in the ECAC, while the Big Red can potentially overtake the Raiders for third place in the conference. Let’s take a look at how the teams match up against each other.
Colgate Raiders Team Records
- Overall Record: 19-3-1.
- ECAC Record: 9-2-0.
- Home Record: 9-1-0.
- Away Record: 10-2-1.
- Head Coach Greg Fargo.
Cornell Big Red Team Records
- Overall Record: 11-6-2.
- ECAC Record: 8-3-1.
- Home Record: 7-3-0.
- Away Record: 4-2-1.
- Head Coach: Doug Derraugh.
Colgate Raiders Team Offense
- Goals For: 93.
- Goals Per Game: 4.0 (4th in Division I).
- Shots: 844.
- Shots Per Game: 36.7.
- Power Play: 22.1% (21 for 95 – 7th in Division I).
Cornell Big Red Team Offense
- Goals For: 66.
- Goals Per Game: 3.5 (9th in Division I).
- Shots: 548.
- Shots Per Game: 28.8.
- Power Play: 23.2% (13 for 56 – 3rd in Division I).
Colgate Top Five Scorers + Individual Leaders
1.) Danielle Serdachny: 16 goals + 26 assists = 42 points. Serdachny is tied for 1st in Division I in points, 1st in assists, and 6th in goals.
2.) Kalty Kaltounková: 13 goals + 16 assists = 29 points. Kaltounková is 24th in Division I in goals and 27th in assists.
3.) Kaitlyn O’Donohoe: 10 goals + 16 assists = 26 points. 27th in Division I in assists.
4.) Sydney Bard: 2 goals + 20 assists = 22 points. Bard is 12th in Division I in assists.
5.) Dara Greig (9 goals + 10 assists), and Allyson Simpson (3 goals + 16 assists) = 19 points each. Simpson is 27th in Division I in assists.
- Shots Leader: Kalty Kaltounková with 95.
- Power Play Goals Leader: Kalty Kaltounková with six. Kaltounková is 2nd in Division I in power-play goals.
- Game Winning Goals: Danielle Serdachny with four.
- +/- Leader: Maggie MacEachern at +21.
Cornell Big Red Top Five Scorers + Individual Leaders
1.) Izzy Daniel: 11 goals + 19 assists = 30 points. Daniel is tied for 13th in assists in Division I and 17th in points.
2.) Gillis Frechette: 9 goals + 19 assists = 28 points. Frechette is tied for 13th in assists in Division I and 27th in points.
3.) Lily Delianedis: 7 goals + 11 assists = 18 points.
4.) Mckenna Van Gelder: 8 goals + 7 assists = 15 points.
5.) Kaitlin Jockims: 5 goals + 7 assists = 12 points.
- Shots Leader: Lily Delianedis with 72.
- Power Play Goals Leader: Gillis Frechette and Mckenna Van Gelder with three each.
- Game Winning Goals Leader: Gillis Frechette with three.
- +/- Leader: Izzy Daniel at +15.
Colgate Raiders Team Defense
- Goals Against: 38.
- Goals Against Per Game: 1.7 (tied for 7th in Division I).
- Shots Allowed: 494.
- Shots Allowed Per Game: 21.5.
- Penalty Kill: 89.0% (65 for 73 – 10th in Division I).
- Shorthanded Goals Scored: 1.
Cornell Big Red Team Defense
- Goals Against: 52.
- Goals Against Per Game: 2.7 (25th in Division I).
- Shots Allowed: 460.
- Shots Allowed Per Game: 24.2.
- Penalty Kill: 77.6% (38 for 49 – 39th in Division I).
- Shorthanded Goals Scored: 1.
Colgate Raiders Goaltending
- Hannah Murphy: Record: 11-1-0 / GAA: 1.44 / Save Percentage: 0.927 / Saves: 229 / Shutouts: 3. Murphy is 6th in Division I in GAA, 13th in Shutouts, and 14th in save percentage.
- Kayle Osborne: Record: 8-2-1 / GAA: 1.73 / Save Percentage: 0.926 / Saves: 225 / Shutouts: 3. Osborne is 11th in Division I in GAA, 13th in shutouts, and 15th in save percentage.
Cornell Big Red Goaltending
- Deanna Fraser: Record: 7-2-1 / GAA: 2.52 / Save Percentage: 0.882 / Saves: 186 / Shutouts: 2. Fraser is 29th in Division I in GAA.
- Belle Mende: Record: 3-4-1 / GAA: 3.03 / Save Percentage: 0.895 / Saves: 179 / Shutouts: 0.
- Brynn DuLac: Record: 1-0-0 / GAA: 2.30 / Save Percentage: 0.896 / Saves: 43 / Shutouts: 0.
Both games this weekend are scheduled to begin at 2 pm EST and will be broadcast on ESPN+. For more information about Colgate Raiders Hockey, visit https://colgateathletics.com. For more on Cornell Big Red hockey, visit https://cornellbigred.com.
- Mike Harder ’97 Named Head Men’s Hockey CoachHAMILTON – Mike Harder ’97 has been named the Donald F. Vaughan Head Men’s Hockey Coach, announced Friday by Colgate University Interim Vice President and Director of Athletics Yariv Amir ’01. Harder makes his return to Colgate after spending six years (2013-2019) as an assistant coach for his alma mater. As a coach for the […]
- Utica University Mens Hockey Has Strong Start to the Recruiting SeasonPhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. The Utica University Men’s Hockey Team enjoyed another successful season in 2022-23, rising all the way to the number one ranking in the USCHO poll during the regular season. They went undefeated in the UCHC, winning the regular season crown and the tournament championship. The Pioneers […]
- LABERGE RETURNS TO COMETS IN 2023-24 SEASON | Utica Comets Official WebsiteMay 23, 2023 Utica, NY. – Utica Comets General Manager, Dan MacKinnon, announced today that the team has signed forward Samuel Laberge to a one-year AHL contract for the 2023-24 season. Sam Laberge, 26, played in 43 games for Utica during the 2022-23 season and scored eight goald and eight assists for 16 points. Spending […]
- AHL Off-Season Primer: Explaining Contracts, Waivers, and the Development RulePhoto credit: Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. By Scott Kinville/315 Hockey. In most of the American Hockey League, the off-season has begun (in a few weeks the off-season will begin for the rest of the league). For some, the off-season means a time to “unplug” from hockey and forget about the game until September. For others, it […]
- Danielle Slominski Named Women's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach – Oswego State AthleticsOSWEGO, N.Y. – Oswego State Athletics Assistant Vice President/Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Wendy McManus and Head Women’s Ice Hockey Coach Mark Digby have named Danielle Slominski the next Assistant Coach of the Women’s Ice Hockey program. “I’m really excited to see someone with Dani’s experience and personality join our program” Digby said. “It was very […]